Business & Corporate Law

We offer practical legal advice to business owners. Our clients seek our help when they are looking for legal advice to keep their business running smoothly. Our legal services to businesses also extend to the sale or dissolution of a business. We work closely with our client’s accountants and other valued partners to provide business solutions that help the business operate efficiently and successfully.

Because of our focus on helping businesses and entrepreneurs, our firm has developed valuable contacts with accountants, brokers, bankers and other business professionals throughout Alberta. We can work with your current professional team, or we can help assemble the professional team necessary to allow you to operate and grow your business.

We provide our clients with services in the following areas of Business & Corporate Law:
  • Starting a Business
  • Buying a Business
  • Selling a Business
  • Shareholder and Corporate Reorganizations
  • Annual Returns and related documents
  • Unanimous Shareholder Agreements
  • Partnership Agreements
  • Business Financing
  • Medical Professional Corporations



Lypkie Henderson has more than 30 years of combined experience in assisting clients with running a business. Many of our clients are entrepreneurs who run professional practices or small businesses.

Your Next Steps

Please contact our Intake Specialist at or 780-669-4542.

Here’s what our clients have to say

Move Forward with Confidence

We know that many areas of law can be overwhelming. Whether it’s your estate, job, or business, mountains of legal documents should be the least of your worries. Let us take care of the details so you can move forward confidently into the future.

Frequently Asked Question

Questions about Corporate Law? We will work with you to keep your business running smoothly with our legal services.

  • I want to start a business. What are my next steps?

    You should seek accounting and legal advice. A business lawyer can advise you on regulations which apply to your industry. They can also discuss with you the benefits of establishing a corporation in which to run the business.

  • How do I go about selling my business?

    You may wish to hire a business broker to actively market your business. If you already have a prospective buyer then a broker may not be required. In both situations, business lawyers are involved in reviewing preliminary documentation, such as a Letter of Intent, and assist in the finalization of a Purchase Agreement and the closing of the transaction. 

  • How can I acquire a business?

    In general terms, you can acquire a business through either an asset purchase or a share purchase. An asset purchase results in a company you control buying the assets of an existing business and then continuing to run that business through your corporation. In contrast, a share purchase results in you purchasing the shares of an existing business and continuing to run the business through the purchased corporation. Generally, from a legal perspective, the purchaser assumes less risk by purchasing assets. However, the seller often prefers a share sale as this typically reduces their taxes payable on the transaction.

  • Can you assist me in filling my Corporation’s Annual Returns?

    Yes, our law firm can assist you in filing Annual Returns with Alberta Corporate Registry and in preparing directors’ and shareholders’ resolutions which are required on an annual basis by the Alberta Business Corporations Act.  

  • Do Medical Professionals need to incorporate and what are the required steps?

    Medical Professionals are not strictly required to operate through corporations. However, many professionals will incorporate upon the advice of their accountants to obtain tax advantages by operating their medical practice through a corporation. To learn more about the process of establishing a  Professional Corporation please contact our office.

  • How do I know what my rights are as an Albertan employee?

    Employees have significant rights under Alberta law. These rights are found in a variety of sources, including Court decisions and within legislation. The Employment Standards Code and the Alberta Human Rights Act are a few examples of the legislation which govern the employment relationship. Given the different sources of law that apply to employment relationships, it is important to obtain legal advice to understand your rights and obligations as an employee.

  • Can I leave my Estate to whoever I want?

    No. The law requires individuals to honour their obligations to their spouse and any other dependants they may have. This obligation does not disappear just because a person is deceased. It is also important to remember that death triggers tax obligations which must be satisfied at that time. Therefore, only after you have satisfied your obligations to your dependants and the tax department will you be free to dispose of your remaining assets as you wish.

  • I may have been wrongfully dismissed, what are my next steps?

    You should seek legal advice. An employment lawyer can discuss your case, the risks associated with it, and ultimately help you to assess whether it is worth pursuing against your former employer.